A nutrient-dense, whole food diet is the orientation the Biome Project provides. Clients are guided through what this looks like: how to source, store, prepare, and eat different types of food and understand their nutritional relevance. Additional topics covered with the client include sugar vs. fat burners, fats/oils to cook with, foods like ferments, spices, pre- and pro-biotics, the impact of stress and sleep on digestion and so on… depending on client interests.
If food sensitivities or intolerances are suspected, Melissa can guide a client through an Elimination and Reintroduction diet and/or coordinate testing. Different diets may be considered with the client and a particular diet selected if presenting as a helpful tool. Some diet considerations could be the Low FODMAP, ketogenic, or paleo diet, among others.
Nutritional changes may improve the following:
- Weight Management
- Athletic Performance
- Sugar Handling
- Mental Health
- Vitamin, Mineral & Essential Fatty Acid Status
- Endocrine, Immune, Cardiovascular & Reproductive Health
The Consultation Process
The Biome Project provides consultations at demonstration kitchens, client homes, places of work, and via Skype. Melissa provides one-on-one and class instruction.
The nutrition consultation process may look like the following and is subject to modification, depending on client needs:
Prior to first session, client fills out:
- Confidential Client Health Questionnaire
- Nutritional Assessment Questionnaire
- 3-Day Food Journal
- Nutritional Therapy Informed Consent and Disclaimer
1st Session. Initial Interview – 60 min
- Discuss health goals and nutritional therapy
- Review health history and nutritional assessments
- Start Initial Nutrition Plan
2nd Session. Follow-up – 30-45 min
- Discuss health goals
- Feedback from Initial Nutrition Plan
- Build on prior recommendations
3rd Session. Follow-up – 30-45 min
- Discuss health goals
- Track progress and finalize Nutrition Plan
- Fill out a second Nutritional Assessment Questionnaire and 3-Day Food Journal
4th Session. Follow-up – 30-45 min
- Discuss 3-Day Food Journal and results from Nutritional Assessment Questionnaire
- Discuss Nutritional Plan and refine
The number of sessions and pricing are based on client needs. The initial session cost is typically $75 and $65 for subsequent sessions. Sessions generally occur 2-6 weeks apart.
All personal health information is safeguarded and remains confidential.
Download Nutrition Consultation Process